During his life R.J. Hunter was a faithful and energetic supporter of many worthy causes, not least was his enthusiasm for specialist libraries. One such institution – the Derry and Raphoe Diocesan Library – is an example of how such institutions benefitted from Bob’s generosity.
The Derryand Raphoe Diocesan Library, as it is today, is the combined collections of both the Derry Diocesan Library and the Raphoe Diocesan Library which were amalgamated in 1881. The books range in date from 1480 to 1900, and include the libraries of many bishops of the North West, notably Ezekiel Hopkins, who was bishop at the time of the Siege of Derry, 1689.
The Derry and Raphoe Diocesan Library is owned by the Church of Ireland but is now housed in the purpose-built Rare Books Room in the University of Ulster, Magee campus Library.
Digital access to some elements of the collection, such as the three manuscript catalogues is provided via this website. However, due to the fragile condition of many of the books, physical access to the collection may be limited in order to protect the books from further damage.
The Derry and Raphoe Collection is housed in the Rare Books Room in the Magee Learning Resource Centre. Readers wishing to obtain access to the collection should make an appointment with the Subject Librarian, Faculty of Arts, Frank Reynolds at: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +44 (0) 28 70124540 Web: www.derryraphoelibrary.org